Monday, August 27, 2012




I was thinking, for anyone such as myself who was wanting to own and ride their own motorcycle that I should talk about the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) classes. Specially, for new riders that would be the Basic Rider Course (BRC).

While Bill and I were out perusing a lot of different motorcycle shops in our area and beyond, I met many fine sales people whose goal was not just to help me realize my dream of motorcycle ownership but to make sure I did it safely and skillfully!  They all recommended the MSF classes.

Over the next couple of months, all the while still checking out motorcycle shops, I logged onto the MSF website http://www.msf-usa.org many times.  Finally, I pulled the trigger and scheduled a class for early April.  The BRC is a 2 1/2 day class, either a full weekend or Tues-Thurs.  I chose the weekday class, it saved me $25 and I thought it might be more low-key and might be people more my own age.  

So, first day of class rolls around.  There were nine of us in my class; I believe the max is twelve.  We were a cross section, one woman motorcycle rider -me, two women scooter riders, a husband of one of the scooter riders who was an experienced rider but felt he could learn from this class, a young military vet, a man who had raced cars and now wanted to ride with his friends, an older retired vet who had flown helicopters, a young guy planning to buy a sport bike, and another retired man who just wanted to ride - like me!  They were all a bunch of very nice people.

The two instructors were absolutely great.  We had instruction in the classroom and outside on the course.  We were assigned loaner motorcycles, CBR250's I think.  They would also loan you a helmet, I brought my own. 

So what makes this such a great class and why do I think everyone should take it?  

You will learn mental and physical skills and tactics to be a safer motorcyclist.   There is a wealth of information and discussion in the classroom that was invaluable.  You will practice riding and learn maneuvering on the outside course. I learned many things that hopefully will keep me safer on the road.  

The first time you drop your motorcycle as many new riders do, it will be theirs and not yours.  I did this and I learned why I did it and hopefully I won't do it again.

Upon passing the written test and the riding test, you will receive a certificate. Here in Georgia this certificate allows you to waive any road or written test at the DMV to get your motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.  Just walk up to the counter and show the certificate, pretty slick.  Show your certificate and many shops will also give you a discount on your first accessory purchase from them.

In hindsight, am I glad I took this class - absolutely!  I don't think my early days of riding would have gone as well without this class.  It was a lot of fun.  It was also a personal challenge (I love a challenge).  My son's friend's wife had just completed the class with a 100 on the written test and a 95 on the riding test and I wanted to at least match that and I did!






No comments:

Post a Comment